»

Aug 26, 2009

So Mcabe is now a college man too. We prayed before he left for his journey on that big ole' campus filled with all sorts of big kids and big adults. We prayed that the Lord would give him peace. That he would walk in wisdom... and confidently in his God given talents and abilities. That he would be humble and willing to learn.

His professor...in an attempt to break the ice... asked everyone to name two things they would want with them if stranded on a deserted island.

Mcabe's response...my drum kit and my Bible.

The professor's response.

"Cool! I'm a Jesus Freak too."


I have to be honest. After Mcabe left yesterday morning....I had a moment of anxiety which I communicated to Bradley. Our son is a reeeeeaaaaaaly super cute 15 year old. I had visions of us unknowingly handing him over to some creepy pedophile.

Just in case this "Jesus Freak" was simply a "freak"...Brad checked him out. It seems he actually is a well respected long time professional in the community...and also a believer...with links from his website to many of the folks we link to....Spurgeon...Hannegraff etc.

Oh, Lord...thank you.

After the days dust settled...it hit me.

Our son made public on his first day of class...in a room full of strangers...the fact that he is a Christ follower.

A fact.....me of little faith....would not have predicted.

You know how we as parents....lie awake at night...staring at the walls...wondering if we are self deceived about the salvation claims of our children...tossing and turning...wrestling with the Lord over the depth of (or very existence of) our kids' walks?

The Lord gave me a little gift.

Be still my heart.

____________________

On another note:

For the first time ever I experienced a bit of tension/resistance? when registering a child for classes. Granted this is only the second student I'm dealing with...but the first registration was met by no resistance whatsoever. Eyebrows were raised slightly upon learning Mcabe's age...and the fact that he is home-educated. It felt as if we were being examined...a bit. Just a bit...but yeah....I sensed it.

Is he really our kid?

Has he really been/is being educated?

These things were not said out loud...but I heard them loud and clear?????????? It was strange.

Even though the course he is taking to get his feet wet this first semester requires no math or language prerequisite...the Academic Advisor still asked to see his entrance exam test scores. Good thing he did well...that's all I can say.

And it seems, I need to now ease the mind of our Academic Advisor by showing up with a copy of our Affidavit to Home school.

Apparently my AFHE membership card would not do the trick...although I gave it my best shot. And she didn't really care that our other kid was not asked to provide an Affidavit when he registered a short two years ago (same advisor btw.) Nope. Gotta search through all that official looking stuff stuffed in the back of our closet at home and drive down there again...get out of my car....walk through the desert heat with all the other kids....wait for a walk-in appointment....get back on another line....etc.....

All that to say....get your Affidavits from the state.
Simply google it.

AFHE
Homeschool Legal Defense Fund

It's amazing how walking in confidence & humbleness.... in our God given roles, responsibilities, & authority as parents...seems to somehow offend some on a deep level.

Work the system...do not allow it to work you.

1 comments:

Lori said...

Love McCabe's "stranded on an island" answer. I love his boldness in proclaiming his faith in a college classroom and I love how our awesome God is already protecting him before you ever knew anything about his professor. Wow- what an answer to prayer! Praise God for HIS continued protection in this new environment and thank you Jesus for a huge example of Godly parents who are leading their children along this Christ-centered journey!