»

May 2, 2009

Christian Filmmakers

The girls don't get to experience much spray paint art living in this here neck of the woods. For the longest time whenever we would visit L.A...they would take extra special notice of all the "fagrriti."



Years ago....I was a writer in Hollywood. Bradley and I had two young sons and we were struggling in our marriage. It was a desperate time and on top of everything else...we needed money. I got a call from my agent....who had set up a meeting with a production company. They wanted to buy a treatment of mine and hire me to write the teleplay. Money for the treatment. Money for the script. Future residuals. Perfect timing.

Or not.

I remember sitting in an office on Ventura Blvd....around a conference table...with three men in suits. They were nice guys....offering me an opportunity and I was excited. Until one word came out of their mouths ....Bonneville.

My leg began to shake (you know how it does when you are nervous)...and my heart rate rose. I studied these men. Searched their eyes. Did they know? Was this some sort of test?

I don't think I heard a word they said afterwards...story note wise...because that is not what I was focused on.

With a quivering voice...I stopped them. "Off topic, I know.....but.... can I ask you a question?" Three pairs of eyes looked at me expectantly. "Sure."

I made eye contact with all three. It was as if it were happening in slow motion. "Are you....Bonneville Entertainment....the same Bonneville as the LDS Bonneville?

"Yeah, that's us but we....the three of us.... aren't LDS." They continued on with their story ideas....with all the creative possiblites.

My leg shook faster...automatically...outside of my control. My mouth went dry. I pictured Bradley in the Chinese Donut Shop across the street with Bria and Mcabe....waiting for me...hoping for the job and the security (albeit false sense of security) that the money would bring.

My heart pumped out of my chest.

I was silent. I was being watched.

The three guys in suits were waiting for a response....to what question...I do not know. I missed it.

I took a deep breath.

"Fellas...I need to tell you something. I do not wish to offend and I don't expect you to understand...but I don't think I can go forward with this meeting. (then) Last week, I was born again. I am a Christian...................... and I will not be working for Bonneville."

They turned and looked to each other...puzzled? or maybe understanding?

One spoke up. "I am a Lutheran and he (pointing) is Jewish. We are not LDS even though the company is owned by the LDS church." I have no idea what the third guy was....he never said.

I made eye contact again and steadied myself.

"I appreciate the opportunity. I am happy you like my work...but it is not something that is going to happen.,...us working together on this project."

"Okaaaaaay," one of them said.

"Thank you for your time. I hope I didn't waste it."

All three stood.

I shook each of their hands and left the room.

In the elevator my whole body caught up with my leg. I shook all over. Tears welled in my eyes. How whould I explain to Bradley?

There was a pay phone by the wall. I placed a shaky call to my agent ....relating the story and my decision. He was very gracious and let me know that he was in full support of me. Secretly, I believed that he thought I had lost my mind....but he never let on.

Next, I placed a call to my parents in Arizona. This is where I lost it. I broke down in the lobby of Bonneville...as I realized the spiritual battle that I had just walked through and survived. My parents were awesome...and encouraged me to face Bradley with the simple truth.

As I made my way to the car....I could see the smile on Bradley's face....ready to hear all the details of the meeting. He and the boys were waiting proudly for me.

I climbed into the front seat and explained what had happened as best I could. My husband did not yet have spiritual eyes to see. He knew me though. He knew how I operated and he knew that this decision was a done deal...born and solidified in conviction. He never brought it up again.

A few months later...he was saved.

________________________________________

Jump to 2009. Bria has been offered a paying job on a 21 day shoot. Great for the experience....great for contacts...great for the resume....great for the wallet. He is thrilled by the opportunity.

Or not.

Low and behold...he comes to learn that it is a LDS church project he's been asked to work on.

On his own....before speaking with us....he turns the job down out of conviciton.

In his own words, "There's just no way."

Knowing how difficult decisions like these can be....I encouraged him to stay true to and always walk in his convictions.

He is awesome (under the Lord's guidance) because I know how badly he wanted this job but then I saw how loosely his grip on it actually was.

____________________________________________

All this to say.......Christians need to be producing more films. Good films. Films that reach, teach, inspire, and entertain.

4 comments:

Eve said...

Omg what a story....
Wow.
And 'Amen!!'
We SO need Christians in this industry

Alex Karl said...

such an amazing and hard test at the start with your walk with God

by the way mcabe just told me about you writing your name on the hollywood sign and then i came to your blog and saw the picture haha!

Seven's Heaven said...

Great story. I love hearing how God has worked in your life and continues to. Cause you're a fabulous writer!

Mrs. Spice (Holly) said...

Amen! Let's do it!