»

Jan 14, 2009

Because our boys are who they are and they do what they do.....we've had to deal with local law enforcement on a few occasions over the years. Once...when they were really little (maybe 10 & 8)....they got caught by an offended neighhbor walking through the desert with slingshots. A patrol car pulled up. I asked the very polite officer at my front door if carrying slingshots in the desert was illegal and was assured that it wasn't....so.....I told him that my boys would most likely continue to walk through the desert carrying slingshots. He left....probably realizing that most likey.....he would be back some day in the future.

I'm not sure if tonight's officer was the same fella or not....but our conversation resembled the last one on record.

Me: Is it illegal to shoot airsoft guns into the desert?

Officer: No.

Me: Then, I can pretty much guarantee that my boys will do it again.

Officer: Yeah. I can see that the boys are just having fun. No harm done.

(then) You might want to have a non confrontational word w/your neighbor though.

So, that's exactly what Mcabe and I did. We paid our offended neighbor a visit.

The poor thing was simply besides herself in tears because her beloved desert is being ruined by the intrusion of airsoft pellets. She's afraid the pellets may harm all the precious, darling wild animals (javelina, coyote etc.)......... which she feeds daily on her driveway. That would be too horrible and horrific to fathom.

I assure her that the pellets are biodegradable and that the only animals being harmed by my boys at this time are the ones which are being hunted legally.

Mcabe handled himself well...respectufully, but firmly..... defending the legal actions of himself, his brother, and friends...reitorating in person that they did not in fact intrude upon her private property as was falsley reported to the authorities and that they did not harm any wildlife which they were accused of. And, that they were not liars.....which was shouted out in anger at some point.

The traumatized neighbor calmed down and even went so far as to admit that she overreacted and didn't need to call the police after apologizing and hoping that the boys didn't get into trouble. She knows that they are "good boys." "Homeschooled boys...... and Christians like herself."

A hands on education in interpersonal relationships at it's finest.


Here's my question:

Is there a law against being total dorks?????????????

2 comments:

Seven's Heaven said...

oh my gosh, hysterical!!!! Can they come 'hunt' in our 'commmon' area? I would love to rile the neighbors! JK

Tamara said...

I'm glad my son was not a part of that bunch of hooligans...this time. :-)

It sounds like you handled it very well. Since she's a Christian like you, maybe you could request that if there's a problem in the future, she come to you as instructed in Matthew 18...no, calling the police is much more fun.