»

Nov 9, 2008

The Shack



"Over the last few months I've been hearing more and more about a book titled The Shack by William Young, who goes by his middle name, Paul. Some, like my mother, are profoundly disturbed by the content of this book. Others are saying that it is the best book they have ever read. In fact Eugene Peterson says "This book has the potential to do for our generation what John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress did for his. It's that good."
After reading a front page article in the Life section of USA Today and hearing a comment by a colleague, I decided to open the door on The Shack. Here's the deal: I have to confess that Young's stereotypical characterization of the Father as a large, beaming African-American woman, the Son is a Jew with a large nose, and the Holy Spirit is a mysterious Asian female makes me more than just a little queasy.
Furthermore, virtually every theological heresy begins with a misconception of the nature of God and The Shack is no exception. After chiding those he believes to have misconceptions about the Trinity Young proceeds to compromise, confuse and outright contradict biblical orthodoxy.
For example, he pictures the Father bearing crucifixion scars as well as being incarnated in tandem with the Holy Spirit. Not only so, but he pontificates that Jesus has never drawn upon His nature as God to do anything. Of course those who have read the Bible even once will immediately recognize the falsity of that statement, particularly with respect to the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
One more point. Young has Jesus - the Jew with the big nose - declaring "I am not a Christian and I have no desire to make them" - and the them is Buddhists, Mormons, Muslims, etc. - "Christians." Indeed, Young describes Christians as religious fanatics and part of a sinful world system. Of course in sharp distinction the followers of Christ adopted the word "Christian" in the midst of suffering and persecution. You can see examples of that in the Book of Acts written by Luke or by Peter, such as 1 Peter 4:16.
The fact that The Shack is now being touted by those who take the sacred name of Jesus Christ upon their lips is, to me, a sad commentary on Christian discernment. I suppose in the end it is books like this that make the need for discernment ministry ever more necessary."

Hank Hanegraaff


_________________________

I read The Shack last year on the recommend of a friend. It was difficult and almost painful for me (red flags EVERYWHERE) to see it through till the end.

The love fest surrounding this book is disheartening and difficult to comprehend.

No it's not.  


I understand it. 

This is where I sit down winded for a moment..... with a glazed look in my eyes....wondering where to go from here?????????? How the heck can any believer in their right mind and under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.... think that this book is good? Do I speak on it or remain silent? 

Sigh.

11 comments:

C said...

Have yet to read it. Have had an insane amount of people tell me they loved it, but almost always tagging it with how comforting it was. So, I've just assumed it was pretty sappy. I had already heard that it was a theological crap-shoot (I don't guess that's an exact quote from anyone, but you get the gist).

Heck, I started "Jesus for President" in JUNE, and still have not finished that sucker. I may find myself flipping through "The Shack" sometime around my 80th birthday, at an antique book store.

Kimberly said...

I listened to it when I was in Tanzania. As a story, I liked it. I didn't look at it from a theological aspect. I knew it was not the Word, so did not look at it that way. I listened to it as a story.

Kim Thompson said...

I am with you, Dawn, I was instantly uncomfortable with it and had a hard time finishing it. I think he was way off theologically and although it is not the Bible, he wrote it to help people better understand the Trinity and with that knowledge, I think he was way off.

Stephanie said...

Wow. I liked it a lot. I don't always agree with The Bible Answerman, though, so that might explain it!

Rory and I both read it and did not take it as Bible truth. Rather, a way to see some of the heart of God. I loved his portrayal of God as a woman obsessed with gardening and cooking and chatting--all three basics to life but often overlooked in our society. Sure that is not God. But it is a part of Him--God is both man and woman. His image is made more complete when the man and woman come together--it's one reason why marriage is soo important.

Sidenote--fear can often be traced back to a lack of mothering while anger stems from a lack of fathering. I know a lot of angry, fearful people. So a more complete view of God in the home can't be a bad thing! I loved his portrayal of Sophia--wisdom--by giving Mack the chance to judge. It's an interesting, think outside of the box story.

Stephanie said...

One more thing--about being a "Christian." I don't think God is interested in making us all Christians as MY generation knows the term. I know countless Christians who do not know Christ. God wants people madly sold out for Him--not for a religion. Too many of my friends who do not know Jesus associate Christians with hypocritical, right-wing, judgemental, closed-minded haters. That is the ANTITHESIS of what Jesus came to make us into.

When the face of Christianity becomes a person like Jerry Fallwell (who said Katrina was a result of God's punishment of gays) we need to re-direct our gaze to Jesus. People don't need religion--they need Jesus, right?

I don't want to be a Christian. I want to be a follower of Jesus Christ and unfortunately in my generation the distinction is becoming increasingly necessary. I think that is what Young meant and I whole-heartedly support as a 25-year-old sold-out follower of my Lord Jesus.

A good book that is just about facts: "unChristian." It's groundbreaking research of what 16-29 year olds today think of Christinaty done by the Barna group (a Christian research center).

Thanks for letting me ramble :)

Anonymous said...

Yep.

I agree.

Anonymous said...

with the article you posted.

Anonymous said...

By the way, a Christian friend lent it to me. As soon as I met "God," I had to close it. Why is it that our culture is so rejecting of Christ revealed in Scripture and so intent on turning aside to man-made versions which do not reflect him at all? To make him seasonable to our palates. So we don't have to deal with the hard things--like sin or depravity or the fact that these things in us demanded a price. Or perhaps the call to repentance and holy living, the kind that earns the name-calling and labels society seeks to use to set us apart as being as unappealing as the crucifixion itself.

Or perhaps like the Mormons, the new agers, the Hindus, and every false religion out there, we simly want a god we can paint for ourselves, and stand back and admire him--a god created in our own image.

familygregg said...

stephanie:

you are welcome. anytime.

familygregg said...

christine: that is so strange. i did not find it comforting at all. like finger nails on a chalk board.

jesus for pres....i'll look into it.''

kimberly: all i know is that it didn't sit well with me at all

kim: waaaaaaay

stephanie: i can still be friends with people who are not in their right minds :)

angelia: yeah

Tamara said...

For the sake of accuracy...Falwell had no comment about the reasons for Katrina. He did, however, offer free tuition to Liberty Univ. to any one displaced by the hurricane.

But the leftist media has repeated the lie often enough that it has become "accepted truth", even among Christians.