»

Sep 5, 2007

Finding Peace in Life's Storms

To Keep Us Faithful and Useful

"Moreover, the anchor is necessary so that we may be useful. The person who is easily moved and believes one thing today and another tomorrow, is fickle. Who knows where we will find him next? Of what use is he to young people or to those who are weak in faith or, indeed, to anyone else? Like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind, what service can he give in the work of the Lord and how can he influence others for good? He himself does not believe; how can he make others believe? I think that the Christian who knows Orthodox theology but who does not really believe is responsible for more unfaithfulness to God than a person who believes heresies. In other words, I am afraid that a person who earnestly believes an error has less harmful influence on others than a person who holds the truth with indifference and with secret unbelief. The latter is tolerated in godly company, for he professes to be a believer and he is therefore able to cause harm within the body of Christ. You might say he stabs at piety beneath her shield. This person is not sure of anything; he only "hopes" and "trusts," and when defending truth, he concedes that here is much to be said on both sides, so that he kisses and stabs at the same time. In summary, our God has provided us with an anchor to hold us securely so that we will not be shipwrecked, to keep us in peace, to prevent us from losing ground, and to enable us to remain faithful and useful. These purposes are the result of God's kindness and wisdom toward us. Let us bless the Lord who has so graciously cared for us. "

Spurgeon

2 comments:

Sheena Christine West said...

Thanks for the prayers...
God has been teaching me a lot lately. About friends and about life overall. I need a lot of prayer so i can see Gods' plan for my life. He's doing things to open my eyes to what i wasn't always aware of. He's slowly pushing me to were He knows i should be. I'm walking by faith right now i guess. But, in the end, i know I'll be blessed.
I love you, and I mean that. You've been on my mind a lot recently. I'll be praying for everything going on in your life.

familygregg said...

Continue to follow Him closely and I am convinced your life will be a witness to others. I love you too.